Are you looking to hire employees? Well, the answer is often affirmative when asked to small and middle level business owners. However, specifying the requirement happens to be trifle difficult though. The term general labor seems to be vague and usually ring no bells with instant understanding dawning in the mind of the listener.
Sure, the term sounds familiar but actual words to describe its meaning often fail you. It is time to face the facts related to general labour jobs now.
- Implication – The term can connote to a number of jobs across the working arena. It was initially coined for the manufacturing sector where general labour jobs defined the tasks that were simple enough to do and was labour intensive. The term was widely accepted and eagerly included in the construction, cleaning, and landscaping oriented industries with the passage of time.
- Job Profile – The actual job varies from industry to industry though. While job involves a modicum of physical work it is not akin to physical labour in the manufacturing and construction units. General labour jobs are believed to be simple tasks that can be learnt easily. However, it may be time consuming and require a bit of training in order to complete it effectively and safely. The job of a general labourer is not specialized nor does it require any sort of specialized degree or diploma. The general labour team, however, is often employed as assistants to skilled craftsmen such as carpenters or masons. Although the employees are not reckoned as skilled yet that have to handle power tools akin to a blow torch or put up scaffolding at a construction site. Moping the floor or other areas with the aid of mops and brushes along with chemicals is also considered to be a part of general labour jobs.
- Employment – Well, this is indeed a million dollar question. A look around will convince you that almost all industries hand over the general labour jobs to the unskilled, temp employees and contact them according to the need of the hour. Sure, the construction, manufacturing and cleaning industry use the general workforce extensively yet the ones who deny using them also utilize their labour from time to time. An office for instance contacts a janitor for cleaning services and a gardener for making the garden aesthetically pleasing and keeping it well maintained. Painting and maintenance of rooms are frequently done in various offices without the person in-charge realizing that he is employing a general labourer.
- Eligibility – While the general labour jobs require little or no skill, there are certain factors that make an individual fit into the role. The essential qualities of an aspiring general labour worker includes:-
- Being physically fit
- Proficient in multitasking
- Willing to undertake training if required
- Use of specialized tools
- Aware of workplace safety regulations
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are an added advantage for people looking for general labour jobs.
Finding the right labour for general tasks in a construction or manufacturing industry is not too difficult as there are multiple temp agencies willing to provide you with efficient employees.